Skip to: Main Content / Navigation

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Add This

All Forums > Customer Satisfaction

Pros & Cons for Different Scale ...

Can you think of any pros and/or cons for the following scales?

Performance scale, Satisfaction scale, Expectation scale, Requirement Scale, and Better scale.

I search everywhere, but it seems like everyone has different opinions. Thank you in advance for your help.

Opinions Here as Well

Quite frankly, the comments you get here will be opinions as well. Hopefully informed opinions, but opinions nonetheless.

In my opinion, each of the different scales that you mention has some fundamental value and can be used under different circumstances. What I would suggest that you do is to sit down and very carefully consider the objectives of the research, and how you can best collect the information that you/your client requires in order to make a decision. Then review these different scale types within the context of those requirements, and make your best decision.

Note, however, that the details of how you would implement those scales are lacking in your posted note. I have probably seen satisfaction scales implemented with 30 different varieties or flavors over the years, and the same can be said for most of your other scale types. That, however, is another issue.

In this context, assuming that there is some abstract "best" that will work in all circumstances is folly.

Pros & Cons for Different Scale ... (continued)

Thank you so much for the input. My supervisor is planning to re-built current weekly customer satisfaction survey (Voice of Customer Survey), and we wanted to create a table with all the possible scales we may be able to use with their pros and cons to see what scale works the best. We want to pick the scale which makes it very easy for the respondents to accurately rate their answers. My company offer service and we'll ask customer questions regarding various customer touch points. I want to tel you more details, but I have to protect my company, so I hope this information can help you understand my questions better. Thank you.

Types of Question Scales - value/effectiveness of promotional campaign

I'm not at all comfortable with the choice of words my internal customer proposes for questions and scales to evaluate the value and effectiveness of a major communications campaign to promote participation in a key program. We are being asked to backtrack into people's memories 6 months to measure the effects and value of this effort on them, what components we should change, and the possibility of their future participation.

Can someone please refer me to some best practices scales or
better questions about impact of promotion and likelihood on future attitudes and behaviors?

Examples of questions that I believe are too vague and misdirected:

Please rate your overall reaction to the communications you received

What do you believe was the reaction of your membership to information you provided to them

Prior to this promotion how familiar were you with the program?

After seeing the campaign and/or being contacted, how have your impressions changed?

You're right to be uncomfortable

You're right to be uncomfortable.
In my own work, I'm still asking questions I inherited, about whether people saw our ads in the last few months, what they recall of those ads, and whether the ads made them more or less favorable.
Our volume of media advertising is far from heavy enough to make me think people should recall much about the ad.

I have to tell you, I have never been satisfied with the answers and although ad agencies always want to see this stuff, it's poor quality data. And I put this opinion in writing every time when I write my reports.

Normal people don't take notes on ads and recall them six months later. Only folks who work for ad agencies do that.

It is far better to measure changes in the attitudes and beleifs which your ads are intended to affect. Which we also do, so overall I think my tracking survey is worthwhile.

My experience of ad recall questions, based on several marketing research jobs on the client side, is
- Long term recall of the media your ad is in is weak: People recall seeing your ads on TV even if your company has never run TV.
- Recall of the themes of your ad is weak unless you either have a smash hit or have a large volume such as Budweiser or General Moters can afford, or your ad ran very recently. So you ask this in order to identity that smash hit. If you get one, stick with that ad agency!

What do I mean by very recently?
IMHO, asking about ad recall and how it affected you would make sense if you ran a superbowl ad and then surveyed that same day or the next day.

Ad recall

You will find that the further from the event the poorer the recall and the more "rationalized" the answers will be. If you area known brand (e.g. well known) then people will assume they must have seen an ad from you in the past 6 months even though they have no real memory of a specific ad. And, ad recall will tend to reflect market share anyway - the more customers you have the higher your ad recall - double jeopardy. So recall is not true recall - just market share. The exception is the exceptional ad that "everyone" knows (Where's the beef, et.al). They do have incredible recall but evidently little actual effect as Burger King has never caught McDonald's, Pepsi (with some great ads) never catches Coke etc. And that is the final point (and related to the earlier one about market share - most recall is your own customers and they will tend to see and like your ads. Your ads are more effective reinforcing your brand with current users than it will be in attracting new customers (in general for established brands). Happy advertising! BTW I agree with the general comments that the longer the interval between and event and a survey the poorer the responses and the more likely it is that people drift to the middle of any scale used. They don't really remember (whatever) one way or the other so they just pick whatever is in the middle rather than to admit they don't know. Tracking surveys ought to be contiuous with interviews as close to a customer interaction as possible. Cheers!

Ad Recall - Is it Really Right

I completely agree with Ian.

I remember some time ago that an add agency somewhere in South America ran an ad regarding the uniforms that soccer players had on - you know like color, design, ... The truth was that half of the players were nude (like a 'control group,' right) and when asked about the uniforms, the vast majority didn't even remember the clothing, their focus was misdirected.

So, care should be taken to base fact on many forms of memory recall.